In January, 2012, the Martha Holden Jennings Foundation Board of Directors made the decision to support two new funding themes:
– Characteristics of Excellent Teaching
– Characteristics of Deep Learning
During the first six months of the year, the Distribution Committee, who reads and votes on all the Grants-to-Educators applications, noted not only that the Foundation received less requests but also felt that some teachers were having difficulty justifying project alignment to those themes.
As a result, a subcommittee was appointed to revise the Grants-to-Educators application. Hopefully, the new format that focuses on the characteristics of deep learning will help teachers to think about and study the following:
1) A project that supports deep learning. How can the deep learning objectives, activities and outcomes be clearly explained to the Committee?
2) The alignment to the Common Core. What is the approach to using non-fiction reading materials, developing students’ oral and written communication skills, and teaching students to examine and judge evidence?
3) The student excitement around classroom innovation, creativity and project-based learning. How will the students benefit from the implementation of the project?
There are so many exciting projects that can be developed that enhance student learning – think about multidisciplinary learning, global awareness, science and mathematics applications, students as researchers, technology apps, hands-on learning, partnering with community organizations to solve problems, STEM activities, and environmental education.
Please do not hesitate to call Kathy Kooyman or Daniel Keenan at the Foundation to discuss your project ideas (216) 589-5700. Those who are interested in applying for a grant should study the deep learning chart on the website, brainstorm ideas with colleagues, and complete the new form that can be completed on-line. The application cannot be submitted electronically. Once completed, please print nine copies. Mail the original and the nine copies to:
Chairman, Distribution Committee
Martha Holden Jennings Foundation
The Halle Building
1228 Euclid Avenue, Suite 710
Thank you for being an educator who is committed to continued growth and excellence!